Second Track – Cool Relax

Over the last I have tried composing more material in a pop music style using different instruments. My typical go to instrument is a guitar, but for this project I’ve tried to move away from this and move towards VSTs and alternate instruments. For this song I wrote it on ukelele, using a fairly simple structure of: Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus. The following link is a demo of the first take. I typically use demos to remind me of stylistic things I will add later on. Such as: the slightly distorted vocal effect throughout, the palm muting no chords at 2:40 will be bass drum claps and larger vocal section. The slight changes in vocal melodies to mix it up etc.

For this song I have tried very hard to follow Ryan Tedder & Max Martin’s approaches. For instance, making the verse and chorus similar enough melodically but having changes underneath. I will separate the sections out more with added instrumentation. I will focus heavily on the vocal tracks, add claps (“because, Church” – Ryan Tedder, 2014), bass drum, a bass line and potentially some keyboards.

The song’s tempo is roughly 95 bpm, sticking to the boundaries of the most popular danceable pop music (78-140bpm) This is a characteristic I have aimed to achieve as pop music is more successful if it is danceable. The song also features a cut off ending as Ryan Tedder suggests.